POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aussie Dollars : Aussie Dollars Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Aussie Dollars
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 12 Jul 2005 09:25:01
Message: <web.42d3c08da576ead11917bb8b0@news.povray.org>
Here's what Australian dollar coins look like, almost. :) I just started
this one last weekend. The coin faces are height fields, the milled edges
are
just normals on a cylinder, using a simple slope map & normal map.

I'm not happy with the finish. I may need to find better source images for
my
height fields to improve the surface, so it reflects like a coin should.
Some dirt and scratch marks on them would help, too, I guess. Also, the
heights are wrong, because highlights are not always on the high points.
For example, see the very heavy looking jawline on the Queen. (Sorry, about
that Liz. :)

The face image originals I used are here:
http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-web/aust/dollar/dolleli2.htm
but I've smoothed them a bit (maybe a bit too much) using the NetPBM
package.

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'coind1.jpg' (121 KB)

Preview of image 'coind1.jpg'